2009/10 summary

The main 2009/10 season commenced on 1 September 2009 with a Caterpillar simulatenous display by the main 2008/9 trophy winners (David Spearman, Mark Murrell and Philip Staniland), and concluded on 8 June 2010 with the Annual General Meeting.

On 22 September GM Peter Wells gave a simultaneous display against 17 opponents, conceding draws to Joe Rosenberg, Charlton Siddo and guest Ron Adams of Bishop’s Stortford. For a report and photos click here.

The Club Yearbook, containing all the fixtures for this season and rules can be downloaded from here.

London League – Teams played in Divisions 2 and 3 and the Minor Division.

Essex League – The second team won the Division 2 title last season.  This season there were two teams in Division 1, one in Division 3 and one in Division 4.  The second team were relegated, but the first team finished a creditable second to Writtle.

North Circular League – Teams played in Divisions A and B and the Lawrance and Finchley Cups.  The first team enjoyed an excellent season in the League, highlighted by a fine 4-2 win at home to defending champions Wood Green, and finished second to Barnet Elizabethans. The club also played in the Baum Trophy, a Summer rapidplay event.

National Club – the club were defending champions in the Major.  In the standardplay events, teams were entered in the Major (average grade under 175) and Intermediate (average grade under 145).  The Major team, which featured the same five players throughout, progressed to the final, thanks to successive wins against Home Office & Justice, Wood Green and Bushbury, and retained the title in a tight match against Maidstone.  Ian Hunnable won all four of his games for the team.  The Intermediate team was eliminated from the main competition by Newark and from the Plate by Hackney.

The Handicap Rapidplay took place at Syston on Saturday 26 September, and was won by Wigston.  Two Wanstead teams were entered: the first team (Larry Marden, Ian Hunnable, David Smith and Mark Murrell) scored 11 points out of 20 and finished 4th=, the second team (Philip Staniland, John Philpott, Peter Nickals and Charlton Siddo) scored 5½ and finished 7th, but won a free entry for the next event as a result of the handicap adjusted score.

Lightning championship (defending champion John Duggan) took place on 15 September and was won by Gerry Hayes who produced an outstanding display to achieve a score of 7/7, winning with a round to spare and ultimately by two points.  2nd= were Paul Barclay, Larry Marden and David Spearman with 5: Fin O’Regan took the U130 grading prize.

Club championship.  This is a 7 round event (defending champion David Spearman).  Rounds were scheduled for 29 September, 27 October, 8 December, 19 January, 23 February, 23 March and 27 April.  Larry Marden, Ian Hunnable and Gerry Hayes all finished on 5½/7.  A two game play-off for the title was held between Larry Marden and Ian Hunnable, after Gerry Hayes opted out.  After both games ended in draws, it was agreed that the title should be shared.

Blitz championship (defending champion Larry Marden) took place on 12 January 2010 and attracted 22 entries.  David Spearman and Ian Hunnable both scored 6/7, but David took the championship on the operation of the second tie break, sum of progressive scores.  Terry Whitton and David Smith were 3rd equal with 5, while Peter Nickals and Phil Campbell shared the U120 grading prize with 4.

Rapidplay championship.  The inaugural event took place on 27 March and was won on tie break by Ian Hunnable from Larry Marden with 5/6.  Sid Burns took the grading prize.

Roy Wagstaff Memorial Match.  This is a traditional annual fixture with the Insurance Chess Club which took place on Saturday 1 May and was won 2½ – 1½ by Wanstead.

Essex knock-out.  In the 2010 event the club won 8 – 4 at Roding & Loughton in the first round, but were eliminated on board count by Ilford in the semi-final.

Essex team blitz.  Two teams were entered in the event on 4 July 2010.  The first team (Larry Marden, David Spearman, Ian Hunnable and Terry Whitton) finished third out of nine teams with 19 points out of 36, and the second team (Mark Murrell, Philip Staniland, Peter Nickals and Sid Burns) eighth with 6 points.

Friendly v Hastings & St. Leonards.  This match, which used to be an annual fixture, was revived on 14 August 2010 at Hastings, with Wanstead & Woodford captained by Paul Barclay winning by 5½ – 4½.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: